Monday, June 27, 2011

The fur is flying!!!

I wasn't prepared for battles. Especially not on the living room floor with fur flying everywhere. It was the strange sound the cardboard made as they spun around and around the floor that made us pause, but it was the gutteral noise the cat made as she watched them that made us run to the bunnies. I'm pretty sure I stood there for a second before I jumped into the fray and pulled them apart. My gut instinct told me one or both had hit puberty. I handed Eisley to Matt and grabbed Astor. They obviously seemed shocked that they were fighting. Their little hearts beating and their eyes big as if to say "Wow, I did not see that coming." We sat there and pet them on their little chins and watched as they slowly came down. Neither wanted to be checked over but I did the best I could. Nothing major, just a little scratch. We put them back together, testing the waters, and watched them play together. They snuggled and kissed. Without a second cage we put them back together. It was cute as they cuddled together in the cage and took turns grooming.I made plans to stop by the store and grab some betadine in the morning.

6:13am Sunday. My sleep was interrrupted by what could only be descibed as a high pitched keening sound from the cat and the very evident scratching-fighting noises coming from the cage. I went hauling butt to the cage and pulled one bunny out, and then another. This time there was blood and so much fur....

"This," I told my husband as I collapsed into a pile on the floor "is not good."

Each bunny was placed in a seperate area. They weren't lunging at each other, and they seemed okay seperated by the cage front. We walked to the store and grabbed betadine. (Note: Unless you have someone in the hospital willing to get you some for free, be prepared to pay $15 - $20 for a bottle. It's crazy ridiculous.) The bunnies aren't big enough to go to the vet. They need to weigh two pounds before they will be seen. This means that they would need to be seperated unless someone is there to watch them. A panel in the middle of the cage will serve as a seperator. They would be able to hear and smell each other but not hurt one another.

As I cleaned their cuts and tried to make sure they were ok. Their fur is dense so it can be hard to pinpoint a scratch. I turned them over and my heart started to beat really fast. Near Astor's bunny parts I thought I saw a huge tear. I was ready to freak out when I realized the skin was just a little red...and there was a lump there. My fear turned into a really manic laugh.

"Whoa. I guess we know they were wrong ."

"What's that?"

"Well, Matt, those appear to be bunny nads."

"On a girl?!?! She's a boy?"

After the laughing fit I grabbed Eisley for a check as well. I'm not sure but she appears to be a he as well. So what we thought were a pair of female rabbits, are actually a pair of hormonal male bunnies? It makes sense and while I'm sad that they are no longer together all the time, it's like romeo...and romero(?), I am happy to know that once they are nuetered things might go easier. If they don't we'll have to decide what will happen. For the time being they get a little floor time together if I'm there. They will be able to see each other and for the most part I assume they will be okay apart for a while. I certainly prefer not to worry while I'm at work. I never thought my first experience with hormonal teens would be with rabbits, but there you have it. We decided to keep the names, by the way. We figured they wouldn't care, and since they are starting to learn their names it would be easier just to keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment