Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rain, Rain please stay and play....

This morning I woke up and got dressed unaware that something amazing was happening outside. While for many people rain right now is not something to amaze, in Southern California in July rain is a sincere blessing. Especially when the temp is low and my seedlings are getting respite from the 80*+  weather we have had.

There are a lot of people who don't believe in climate change but compared to my childhood, this weather is extremely odd. Yesterday the desert had 100* temps and today it gets a cloud burst. My mother keeps talking about moving some of her more delicate plants to the shade and then the shade comes to her. In any case this weird weather lasted only a couple hours. By noon the sun was poking through the clouds and now it's a beautiful day with nary a cloud in the sky.

At lunch we headed over to garden and saw that the tomato plant which had been showing signs of blight, was starting to turn. So we made a scramble for the last of the green tomatoes and put them aside, and then pulled the plant. It was such a shame, a beautiful plant gone. We picked about 10 pounds of green tomatoes that I will be turning into fried green tomatoes and maybe try my hand at pickled tomatoes. I'm looking foward to the fried green tomatoes and to be honest they are my second favorite fried food next to fried zuchinni. Give me southern food any day!

We got some really good squash plants going with the tiny squash shaped like flying saucers, I think they are called patty pan. They are sooo cute growing on the vine and make a wonderful addition to dinner.There's also some lettuce we pulled today that was about to bolt. So what's for dinner tonight? Well we're looking at a salad, squash, fried green tomatoes and maybe a little mac and cheese if I'm feeling up to making it! Yumm! I'm starting to get hungry. I better get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment