Friday, July 8, 2011

A lesson learned and what to look for when purchasing hay

In the process of getting things for our rabbits a couple weeks ago, I spent some time online debating about the purchase of hay. I have had varied experiences with purchasing hay online. On one occasion I purchased several flakes of timothy hay from a farm and my guinea pig ended up with mites common from horse hay. In this case the hay in question was Kaytee alfalfa and timothy hay, products I've never had a problem with in the past, and the seller was a company I felt confident in, so I made the purchase.

The hay arrived yesterday, and I knew the minute I opened the box that something was wrong. The smell I usually associate with hay was off and smelled a little damp. I looked at the box again and there was no water damage. My immediate thought was that my cold was playing tricks on me, and I could not smell. I put the hay away without a second thought and started dinner.

It wasn't until later when I started to clean the cages that I realized my mistake. I was completely out of alfalfa hay, and what I saw in front of me was beyond saving. The alfalfa was yellowing throughout and the green parts of the hay looked grey. The hay seemed dry but seriously old. I then looked at the bag of timothy hay. It was the same. Every store in the area that might carry hay was closed. I pulled out the bag of timothy hay with carrots I still had and finished cleaning the cages. I was disappointed and annoyed with myself and the company. I knew better than to rely on a product that I did not have in my hands but decided not to buy back-up hay a couple days before believing that everything would work out. I was annoyed with the company for sending me a product that was not fresh and could kill my rabbits if it had mold I couldn't detect.

I received a refund for the hay today, but I've learned my lesson about buying hay. I want to know what I'm getting and from now on I will no longer be buying hay or animal food online. You just never know what your going to get. With that in mind I've made a list of things you should look for when purchasing hay, either packaged or from someone local. Since we don't have a local farmer to buy from, we will be purchasing from the local pet shop from now on.


Things to check and look for in your hay:

Look at the color of the hay. It should be vibrantly green. There should be very little gold or yellowing at all. It should not look grey and there should be no patches of any kind of wet or mold. If you can look inside a flake, check to make sure there is no moisture. That moisture can cause mold which is dangerous to animals. This varies from hay to hay so always look up or ask to see a great example of good hay from someone who knows the hay your buying well.

Smell it. Good hay has the smell of summer and is really sweetly fragrant. Hay with an off smell can mean a number of things, but the smell can sometimes tell you what to look for. If your hay smells off I would skip it. Especially if you can't figure out why it smells off.

Make sure the hay is made up of large pieces of hay and is not crumbled into dust. This dust can cause respiratory problems if an animal breathes it all the time. I have in the past made treats out of the dust. There are recipes for cookies and various treats online. Plant leaves should be pliable and there should be no seeds.

Check the sell by date. This is really important. If the date seems close or seems "strange" - ie there is one over another - don't buy it. Hay looses nutrients over time and if the hay is low quality your animal will not be getting what they need from the hay.

Once you bring it home put a little in your hand and offer it to your pet. If they are full try again when you usually feed them. If your animal sniffs it and decides not to eat it. Check the hay over again. I have noticed that when there are problems with my hay, our animals won't touch it. Listen to your pets. If they don't like it, don't force it on them. They are smart and will tell you when there's something wrong. If the alfalfa I buy is ok the rabbits pork out on it immediately like it's candy.

I hope this is helpful. You can tell a lot from just looking at your hay, and paying attention to what your purchasing. Hopefully this will help you make a good hay purchase in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment