Sunday, June 5, 2011

Moving a garden...


The biology of a garden a mystery to me. I know this sounds ridiculous coming from someone who has taken plant morphology, botany, and soils but I often find myself in awe of the 100 miraculous things that need to happen in order to produce a ripe strawberry or a cucumber. When I took botany it was a revelation to find out how chemicals are transported around a plant cell and now that there are corn plants and beans in my little community garden plot, I’m usually contemplating the fact that those things are occurring as I water them. It’s interesting and exciting for me.
Our community garden plot hasn’t really produced a meal. We tend to snack on whatever is ripe while we are watering. So the strawberries and the beans never make it home to the recipes that I have planned. It seems alot of this year was spent learning how to plant certain items and learning patience. Since the plot we are occupying belonged to someone else who was inChina, we’re now being phased over to another plot and have to start the process of prepping soil all over again. (We are in a seriously clay soil and when we first started at the other plot, the soil broke into chunks when we first tried to aerate it. It was a disaster.) After 8 months the turnaround is completely unbelievable. We got 3 dozen straight beautiful carrots there, and the strawberries are looking AMAZING!!!
I’m sorry we’ll end up leaving this garden. We still have some crops there, so I’m hoping we’ll be able to harvest them before the guy who occupies the space comes back and wants to pull everything out…but you never know. The corn isn’t even starting to produce anything yet, but I can hope.  I’m excited about the idea of a fresh start but also worried we’re too late to plant any of the things we want. I hope not. If you have any suggestions I’d love to hear ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment