Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Love Affair, The End, and The Race

I have a confession to make...
I'm in love with food. In particular baked goods and especially cake. In my previous life, before I began my career in education, I went to culinary school. This is when we met, food and I. Redezvous with sauces, trysts with a well done salmon, and cozy dinners at fancy restaurants. While this affair has been enjoyable, my love of food has had a hefty (no pun intended...well, maybe just a little) price tag.
The problem is that I'm also a picky eater. I really like good food, and lots of it!  But a lot of times that has a high calorie content and it definately has a bad affect on my health. It's a hard balance when I know that there are things like brie and coconut cake with ganache are out there calling my name. All I have to do is put together some ingredients and I'm soooo there.
The other issue is that I also happen to have fibromyalgia. If you're not familiar with fibro I recommend taking a quick hop over to the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association's page. They do a wonderful job of educating about fibro. Unfortunately, this means I find it really difficult to work out. My muscles tend to feel like they've been massaged with bricks the next day. My doctor has tried really hard to push the workout routine, but I haven't done much since I hate pain...a lot! In fact my worst fear is pain, which is ironic since fibro is pain, but that's another blog post.
Well, Cake, I'm afraid I can't see you anymore. It's been wonderful, but I just can't keep doing this. It's not about you...it's about me. But we can still see each other, on birthdays and holidays okay? No, Tuesday is not a holiday. It's tough but I have to say goodbye, cake...tell the cookies I love them? 
This brings me to my announcement. I am now going to start preparing for my first ever marathon! Why? Because I used to love to run, and I think with a lot of work and determination, I can get there. I'm not expecting any miracles. I know I have to get fit before I can even begin. That's why I'm giving myself until my 30th birthday. Each week I'll be instituting a new fitness rule for myself. Since the first 7 days of any change seem to be the hardest for me, I'm going to start by doing something for a solid week before adding it to my regimine. If it seems too hard for me ( such as adding 20 minutes of running, I'll make adjustments and try again. I'm not cutting out the awesome foods all at once either. Slow and steady wins the race and I plan on making this stick.
I know I'm going to make mistakes, and I may even fail at something, but it's really important to me to get started. Hell, I only have a year and a half to get to where I want to be! So I hope you all will wish me goodluck. Tomorrow I start my new 7 day trial and I'm kind of excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment