Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Ladder of Success

For those of you who may not know, my day job is filled with numbers and reimbursement guidelines that are made up by people somewhere else with a degree in legal speak. This is not the job I dreamed of when I graduated college and I never thought that the highlight of my day would be going to our garden plot. The wind and calm actually brings me to another place and I'm able to wind down and really get refreshed during lunch. Whether I've eaten a microwave burrito (sorry people, it has to happen sometime.) or I had a homemade lunch of cucumber tomato salad, I always feel like I've been able to walk away, rid myself of those nagging little problems that are sitting on my desk, and actually focus on the fact that I am much more than my job.
There...I said it. It's a dangerous phras,e you know, saying that you are a complex human being with a life outside your cube and I recommend it to anyone. I'm lucky the people I work for really recognize this and are completely willing to think of me this way ... And no one says anything if I have a little dirt on the bottom of my pants when I get back from lunch, or if I'm wearing a tank top to work.
So today when I went to the garden at lunch, I tried to really remember how lucky I am while I watered and pulled weeds. The birds sang, the wind blew just a little,  the corn stood a little taller, I think, and I was really grateful for all of it at 12:35pm on a Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment