Friday, June 17, 2011

The Garden Update

It feels as if the garden grew overnight. The corn really is at least 6 inches taller than yesterday. I'm always surprised by the growth every time I head over there and it's also so exciting. Yesterday I starting the plans for a compost area. It's not easy finding the items I want in order to make sure  that the crows and little mice stay out. My friend has recommended a giant, round trashcan with the bottom cut out so that we don't have to buy worms...they will just introduce themselves. The trashcan would have to have holes drilled into it to make sure that nothing is fermenting and there is proper circulation to prevent any kind of excessive heat build up. Yes compost heaps can catch fire...no, I don't want to try that.

The bunnies have also grown quite a bit. They are weighing in at a pound and a half, which is quite a difference from the 9 ounces they were when they arrived home. Eisley's little heart is now finally beginning to fade. We knew it would but we're sad all the same. They have been making fertilizer like nobody's business! I feel silly when I say things like "Wow! All that is going to make a wonderful garden." At least my husband doesn't laugh. Since we don't have a compost area quite yet, we've been hustling bags of the litter to my mother who has one of those Death Star composters. She definately needs some for her garden!

This has been a productive week, as I've started getting my seeds ready for a second round of lettuce, radishes and carrots. In order to plant them I lay out a long strip of tissue paper (toilet tissue works best.) and I lay out my seeds on  the tissue spacing them apart so that they are as close as they can get without  causing growth problems. Then I put a tiny drop of water on them to hold them in place. After that I take another length of paper and place it over the first, then put another drop of water where the seed is at. Then once it's dry I can just put it in the garden and cover with the appropriate amount of dirt. It's easy pea-sy seeding!!!

Hope you're having a great time in your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment