Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bringing Home the Bunnies


When I first saw those two little bunches of fluff sitting in the cage I immediately knew three things. My plan to adopt a single rabbit was out the window, they were the cutest balls of fur, and I was screwed.  The part of me inside that knew this was probably coming sighed and rolled her eyes.  When our roommate left with her cat and our cat started crying (A LOT!) we ended upwith a one eyed rescued kitten through no fault of my own.  I knew that when we brought home a rabbit, I was going to feel guilty it didn’t have a “friend” so I had asked if the girl had siblings that were the same gender, and here they were. To be completely honest, it seemed a little surreal to be standing on a sidewalk in front of an apartment complex in a bad neighborhood holding a baby bunny.  It was more like a hand-off than anything else. We took a moment to try to calm them and put them back in the cage that was now on the sidewalk.  My sister, who had agreed to go with me just in case someone had posted baby bunnies online to kidnap people, gathered up the cage to hold in her lap, I paid the adoption fee to ensure they were going to a good home and we left. I felt a compulsion to check the mirror just once as we drove away from the place. When my attention drifted back to the bunnies I had to admit the cage was extremely tiny verging on miniscule.  The cage we had built for them seemed like a mansion in comparison, and that was for mere sleeping.
I’m not sure what other people think when they bring home animals. Usually I’m quietly begging the various gods I know of that they will be okay and trying to not freak out if they sneeze.  In this case I was worried because they seemed thoroughly terrified. By the time we got them home I was pretty sure their eyes were about to pop out of their heads. So we put them in their home built cage and left them for a while to get acquainted withthe smells of the house. Unfortunately our cats also wanted to see what I brought home, too.  The next couple days involved a juggling act of letting the cats out without letting them scare the baby bunnies, and preventing accidents. Our cats used to groom our guinea pig and loved to tease him with their tails. I would come home to find a cat covered in hay, sleeping in the guinea pig cage more often than I could count so there was very little fear that they will mistake the bunnies for a snack,but we wanted to make sure that everyone is safe and no one got scratched or bit if we could help it. The cats were not pleased with the arrangement and said so…loudly. I was grateful when we finally allowed everyone to meet each other and it went smoothly. 
It’s been a little over a week now, and we have already gone through 3 flakes of alfalfa. (Something I hadn’t planned on.) Luckily I have on order a 5 lb bag. I have to tell you that when we brought them home I thought they would be high maintenance, but I was surprised at how high maintenance they really are.Sometime in the future I’ll have to detail the costs, and daily chores but for now I think I’ll just enjoy the cute little bunny feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment